Grapefruits are rather well-known for being a a major addition to any healthy diet. Not only do they taste fantastic, they only hold a whole host of health benefits. This citrus fruit has always been popular with those who wish to lose weight due to it’s appetite suppressing and metabolism boosting properties. Cold pressing the rind of citrus fruits produces the oil.
Grapefruit oil has stimulant advantages, and is an antioxidant, diuretic and a disinfectant. Here are some more information on its benefits:
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits
- Weight Loss – Grapefruit is one of the top essential oils for weight loss due mainly to the large amounts of d-Limonene it contains. D-Limonene is found in citrus peels and has a number of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory uses alongside its natural weight management properties. In a recent study, d-Limonene was given to rats for 45 days, resulting in vast improvement in metabolic enzyme levels. Other animal studies show that it reduces body weight and food intake, and can even help lower cholesterol.
- Antioxidant – Grapefruit contains many antioxidants; chiefly a large amount of vitamin C. This, in conjunction with the many other antioxidants this oil contains help to improve the immune system and fight free radicals. Free radicals are accountable for everything from cancer to the onset of mental sluggishness, and even early aging. Vitamin C also helps to fight against the degeneration of tissue and muscles.
- Diuretic – Grapefruit oil is a great diuretic, helping to regulate urination and keep the urinary tract free of infection and the kidneys clean of calcareous and uric deposits. It promotes the release of excess water and toxins from the body.
- Disinfectant – It has antimicrobial and antiviral properties that make it a super disinfectant. It helps to destroy damaging microbes that are present in the body and shields the body from new infections. It is especially great at treating infections in the digestive system.
- Stimulant – Grapefruit essential oil helps to energize the body and stimulates the endocrine glands. This leads to the secretion of beneficial hormones and enzymes. Energy levels increase with its uplifting aroma which improves alertness and raises stamina.
- Antidepressant – Grapefruit has an uncanny effect on the mind, inducing positive feelings and helping to alleviate anxiety.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses
Grapefruit essential oil can be inhaled by adding a few drops to fabric or by adding the oil to hot water and inhaling the steam. This can act as an effective appetite suppressant.
It is very important to know that irritation may be experienced by some when this oil is used on directly on the skin. To test whether you may have an allergic reaction such as this, make sure you perform a skin patch test on a small, inconspicuous area of skin before using in your entire body. You may also want to combine this oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba or wheat germ oil.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Side Effects
Grapefruit essential oil does not seem to produce any side effects, but like many essential oils, it is not recommended for use with pregnant women or children. Some essential oils may cause irritation or allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin so it is wise to do a patch test before using regularly.