Daucus Carota is the scientific name for carrot; however it can be referred by wild carrot and “Queen Anne’s Lace” in Europe. The Carrot Seed Oil is extracted from the dried seeds of the wild carrot by steam distillation. The oil can also be extracted from the dried plant itself. The color of the Carrot Seed Oil is a golden-yellow. The aroma may be considered harsh by some, but has an earthy, woody, and warm aroma.
The carrot has been around for centuries. The Romans and Greeks used the Carrot Seed Oil mixed with Bergamot and Lemon Oil for medicinal purposes of treating a variety of skin and stomach disorders. Not until the seventeenth century did the Dutch develop the edible root of the orange carrot they we all know and eat now. The flowering top of the carrot was used in the past for decorative bouquets of tiny white flowers with a tiny purple center. English settlers brought these seeds to America.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Benefits
Carrot Seed Essential Oil benefits in aromatherapy is one of the most powerful detoxifiers and skin rejuvenators in comparison to all the other essential oils. Aromatic benefits are calming, restorative, spiritual, and supportive.
- Antioxidant – repairs damage done to your tissues
- Antiseptic – Carrot Seed Essential Oil can cure infections
- Antiviral – aids in fighting against viral infections like the flu, mumps, cough, colds, and measles
- Disinfectant – very effective in curing sores, gangrene, psoriasis, ulcers, and rashes
- Detoxifier – Carrot Seed Oil can detoxify the blood, tissues, muscles, and internal organs
- Carcinogenic – can be beneficial in curing some types of cancer like cancers of the mouth, throat, stomach, prostate, and kidneys
- Carminative – the Carrot Seed Oil can help expel gases that build up on the intestines
- Depurative – by removing toxins the Carrot Seed Oil can purify your circulatory system, digestive, and excretory systems
- Diuretic – Carrot Seed Oil is a natural diuretic and increases urination, which releases more toxins from your body
- Emenagogue – improving the menstrual cycle with less pain and better regulation
- Stimulant – Carrot Seed Oil stimulates circulation and metabolic functions, along with the secretions of hormones, enzymes, gastric juices, bile and flowing of the intestines.
- Tonic – by toning up tissue and muscle thus increases their efficiency
- Cytophylactic – the stimulation of new cells and tissues
- Vermifuge – is when the worms in your intestines are eliminated
Carrot Seed Essential Oil has an earthy aroma which is mild and soothing making it wonderful oil for aromatherapy. The aroma will help in relieving stress and anxiety. Carrot Seed Essential Oil benefits our skin with a healthier and moisture look all around.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Uses
- Carrot Seed Oil blends well with Bergamot, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Avocado, Cedar Wood, and Geranium oils. The Carrot Seed Oil can also be combined with Cassia, Lime, Red Mandarin, Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Ginger Root, Patchouli, Palmarosa, and Cucumber seed.
- Carrot Seed oil is great to add to your moisturizers.
- Just add a few drops to your bath for a nice spiritual and relaxing soak.
- To relieve abdominal tension, just massage a combination of a few drops of Carrot Seed Oil, Peppermint, Bergamot, and Neroli to the affected area.
- For reliving an itchy scalp and dandruff, just mix six drops of Carrot Seed Oil, two Tablespoons Honey, three Tablespoons Oatmeal and two teaspoons Almond Oil. Gently massage into hair and scalp for 5 minutes then wash with your shampoo.
- To ease cramps or indigestion take four drops of Carrot Seed Oil, four drops Tangerine, two drops of Peppermint and one Tablespoon F.C.O. (Fractionated Coconut Oil). Apply to abdomen with clockwise strokes twice a day for a week.
- Dry hair treatment takes four drops of Carrot seed Oil, six drops of Sandalwood, two drops of Cucumber Seed, two drops Cedarwood and one Tablespoon of Jojoba. Mix all ingredients and massage into scalp and spread to all your hair. Leave in for about one to two hours, and then continue with normal hair washing.
- PMS and Water Retention relief takes four drops of Carrot Seed Oil, four drops Lemon oil, two drops Geranium, and one Tablespoon F.C.O. Massage onto abdomen twice a day as needed.
- To replenish dry or aged skin, apply to your face nightly this mixture of four drops Carrot Seed Oil, two drops Rose oil, four drops Frankincense, one Tablespoon of Skin Mousse (three and one-half teaspoons pure Aloe Vera gel and one teaspoon Jojoba oil- keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and an opaque cream color).
- Add a few drops of Carrot Seed Essential Oil in your homemade soaps and shampoos.
- Using a few drops in your tea or juices will aid in detoxifying the liver and to cleanse the digestive system as well.
- Use vapor therapy for respiratory issues with just a few drops of Carrot Seed Oil to boost your respiratory system and breathe better.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Side Effects
Carrot seed essential oil does not seem to produce any side effects, but like many essential oils, it is not recommended for use with pregnant women or children. Some essential oils may cause irritation or allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin so it is wise to do a patch test before using regularly.